Subject: Re: Build server reminder!

Re: Build server reminder!

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 16:26:59 -0600

> From my understanding /bin/sh should only be
> used for POSIX-compliant scripts.

The problem apparently boils down to different interpretations of what
POSIX requires, and with some sort of change in it some years back, if I
remember correctly.

The situation may be a case of "what is technically correct" and "what
is correct in the real world", or it may be poor wording. But there's an
awful lot of scripts that are broken in dash, while dash (and the Ubuntu
maintainers) maintain that those scripts are wrong. It can kinda be
debated either way, at least if I understand the issue correctly.