Subject: Battery Life: Need I Replace?

Battery Life: Need I Replace?

From: Kane Brolin <kbrolin65_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 17:16:12 -0500

Hi.

I've noticed that even when Rockbox is otherwise operating quite
nicely, my iPod is not charging to a stated battery life of 100% or
anywhere near it.

Sometimes I use the Apple firmware, while at other times I'm using
Rockbox. Whenever Rockbox is set to be iPod's default player, I set
the Battery option so that a recharge is supposed to be happening
whenever the iPod is plugged into its host PC's USB port. With
iTunes, this recharge happens as a matter of course.

But whenever I unplug my iPod and immediately check battery status,
the most charge I ever note is 86% or perhaps 87%, regardless of how
many hours the unit has been charging.

Does this point to a dying battery? I noticed that a few months ago,
shortly after purchasing the iPod, that it would show charge
percentages in the upper 90s right after a recharge.

It will be helpful to know this, since still I have a little time left
on my warranty with Apple and could get a replacement battery at no
charge if I have a real problem. If my problem is software-related or
settings-related, I can fix this myself without the inconvenience of
having to send the unit in.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Kane