Subject: Re: Corruption of Directories On iPod w/Rockbox

Re: Corruption of Directories On iPod w/Rockbox

From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 10:18:52 +0100

Kane Brolin wrote:
> I'm thinking my file corruption problem might not exist if I
> always make sure to boot my iPod into the Apple firmware prior to
> shutting it down for the night or plugging it into the pC the
> following morning. Is there another possible reason why this
> corruption is happening?

Well, there is always a chance that Rockbox contains a bug that might
corrupt the filesystem, but I really can't tell in this case.

You wrote:

"I do use both the Apple firmware and the Rockbox operating system at
various times, for different types of files."

I don't know what you mean here, but I guess that you mean that you
either boot into the Apple firmware before inserting the USB cable, or
insert the cable when running Rockbox. The thing is that in both cases
you will end up using the Apple firmware for the file transfer, since
Rockbox doesn't have support for the USB controller in the iPod (yet).

When you insert the USB cable when running Rockbox, Rockbox reboots and
the iPod enters the "emergency USB mode" in the Apple bootloader. This
is different from the regular Apple firmware, but it is still not Rockbox.

Do you always "safely eject" the iPod when you are finished, or do you
just unplug the cable?

Linus