Subject: Re: compiling the manual and the rb utility with cygwin

Re: compiling the manual and the rb utility with cygwin

From: Dominik Riebeling <dominik.riebeling_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 21:14:37 +0100

On Feb 10, 2008 12:36 PM, alex wallis <alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com> wrote:
> I have a few questions. Does anyone no how to compile the rb utility with
> cygwin?

You can't build Rockbox Utility in cygwin as Qt / Trolltech doesn't
support this. Maybe there's information about this around on the net,
but I think that's beyond the scope of this list -- especially on the
users ML.

To build Rockbox Utility you can just get the MinGW package of Qt,
which includes everything needed and also downloads and installs the
required MinGW.

> Anyway this patch makes changes to the manual, I would like to be able to
> just read the updated manual. But when i tried to get cygwin to build the
> updated manual i got as far as asking for a file name, then it didn't like
> any name i put in and came up with hundreds of errors. as far as i no
> everything i need to compile the manual was installed when i installed
> cygwin.

You need to install latex to build the manual. See
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/ManualHowto

> So is there anyway i can get cygwin to save all the error messages it
> outputs to a log file, so i can send the output to the list in order to work
> out what is missing or what I am doing wrong?

You can pipe it to a file using >
But I would suggest you to ask on the development list about this, not
the users list.

 - Dominik