Subject: Re: Some newbie questions concerning the Ipod video

Re: Some newbie questions concerning the Ipod video

From: Daniel Dalton <d.dalton_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 14:54:00 +1100 (EST)

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008, Celeste Fisher wrote:

> Hi.
> I was recently given an 80 gb Ipod video with RockBox on it. I am a blind
> RockBox user and have never used an Ipod in my life. So I have a few
> questions.
> 1. In the Rockbox manual, it says that the WPS (while Playing Screen) has
> certain components to it, such as album name, song name, artist name, track
> time and time elapsed. Is there a way to get Rockbox to speak these
> components as well? If so, can someone let me know how I can do that?

Use sdoyon's patch.
FS#6323

Oh that might be out of date. You could try emailing Stephane and asking
him for his latest version.
Then just aply the patch to the rockbox source and build rockbox.
You will need a dev environment of course.
See the wiki for details.

But on linux:
install subversion (apt-get install subversion)

Check out the source...
Just get the command from the wiki.

Then run rockbox/trunk/tools/rockboxdev.sh

Then edit your path.

And that's about all there is to it.
Its a bit more complicated on windows.

> 2. I downloaded the voicebox program from the voice howto section of the
> wiki, in order for Rockbox to speak out the filenames and directory names.
> It does work wonderfully, my problem with it though is, it recorded the
> clips in Microsoft Sam. I have a variety of text to speech voices, such as
> ScanSoft voices, Neospeech voices and the like, and I would like to use one
> of them. There was a little blurb in the readme about setting the script up
> so you could use other voices but I really didn't understand what it said,
> or how to do it, so if someone could help I'd appreciate it greatly.

Dunno I use my own script and I think that's windows-based.
Try setting the voice you want to use as your default in your default
voice configuration...
Or edit the script.

> 3. Earlier in the day today, someone mentioned they had an Ipod video and I
> think he said he had it to where his would beep when he made a keystroke or
> something. Can you let me know how I can set mine to beep as well? Thanks
> for any help you all might be able to give.

Beep when? At the top/bottom of a list? Every time you press a button?
When you go back and forward songs in the wps?
Or when you plug a charger in?

A charger patch exists.
FS#8006 I think.
I wrote it. Hopefully that's the right number.
And I can also send you list-beep which plays a beep at the end and the
start of a list or menu...
Otherwise just set the playback beep level in the playback menu...

--
Daniel Dalton
http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/