Translations

Rockbox mail archive

Subject: H10 20GB

H10 20GB

From: Frans Grotepass <fmgrotepass_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:52:47 +0100

Hi all,

In a series of body blows, I managed to obliterate my H320. The player
served me well for roughly 3 years.

The H10 looks like a decent replacement and I can buy an unused unit for
not too much. After checking the specs, I did however notice that the
battery is only rated at 5 hours. Is this still true for the current
builds? 5 hours sounds a little skimpy. Inter continental flights are
often in excess of 10 hours. 5 hour batterylife is just not enough.

And now the scoop of the H320 death.

1st body blow: My charger was at work. At home I have a universtal
charger that almost fits. The charger worked in the past. The player was
placed on charge, but after a while, I tried to remove the charger. The
middle pin of the charge point broke off.

2nd body blow: In an attempt to charge the player for the next day in the car,
the
charger was reinserted. The contact was wonky and the player kept
changing from charge to disconnected. At work, I remounted the center
plug, but something was not quite right. It was possible to listen to
music while charging, but when the disk was accessed, the player skipped
and the screen went al bugeyed. The runtime was also down to 3 hours
from an easy 12 hours.

At home I opened up the player and did some measurements. The power
consumption figures mentioned on Rockbox.org did not match my
measurements. I decided to pack it all up and use our Fluke thermal
imager at work to check out the overheating IC. Consumption was up to
700mA while accessing disk, 190mA whilst idling and 270mA whilst decoding.

3rd body blow:Unfortunately, when I turned around, the player fell
off my desk and the ribbon cable to the buttons tore right through. The
cable is almost impossible to repair.

I hope the power consumption of the H10 is better than mentioned on the
site.