Subject: Re: I think I bricked my sansa e280.

Re: I think I bricked my sansa e280.

From: Emlyn Addison <noisyblocks_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 16:51:40 -0500

> Well, we're getting there! The fact that you're in recovery mode is a
> good thing. That it does not show up on the desktop is a little
> strange. Google suggests that Disk Utility may be able to mount the
> device (I'm not familiar with it though).

I'll try the disk utility as I DID see the 16Mb partition there. But read on...

> Alternatively, you could mount it the command-line way, something to
> the effect of "mount -t vfat /dev/disk?s1 /mnt/somewhere". The exact
> command will slightly differ, depending on your system: on a laptop, I
> would *guess* that it will be /dev/disk2s1, but that assumes that the
> sansa is the only thing plugged in. You'd need to make a directory in
> /mnt (does OSX even use this? I don't really know. You can do this
> with "sudo mkdir /some/directory_name") and replace /mnt/somewhere
> with that path.

I saw this:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20041127045644235

Might do the trick if the disk utility can't.

> Once it's mounted, you should be able to copy the .mi4 to the player
> (you may need to put an empty file called sansa.fmt there first, to
> restore the partitions, then get back into recovery mode and copy the
> mi4.)

Copy the .fmt when mounted (already in recovery mode, isn't it?), then
shut down, redo the previous steps but copy the mi4 once back in
recovery mode? Not sure if I follow all of this, but I guess I'll take
it one step at a time.

The UNIX approach would be my last resort, but worth trying...