Subject: Re: I think I bricked my sansa e280.

Re: I think I bricked my sansa e280.

From: Emlyn Addison <noisyblocks_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:54:39 -0500

> > http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20041127045644235
> > Might do the trick if the disk utility can't.
>
> That's the general idea, except for the command-line options: you want
> -t vfat, and you don't want to mount it read-only.

Hmmmmmmm. Not real sure what's going on and I'm not versed enough in
terminal to understand what it's telling me.

After creating the dir /Sansa under Volumes (which I checked, and it
exists) I check for the correct diskXXXX name (disk1, as it turns out)
and typed the command:

    mount -t vfat /dev/disk1 /Volumes/Sansa

(also tried "mount -t vfat -w /dev/disk1 /Volumes/Sansa", as well as
"mount -t hfs -w /dev/disk1 /Volumes/Sansa" for giggles)

Response:

    mount: exec /usr/sbin/mount_vfat for /Volumes/Sansa: No such file
or directory

I did a ls /usr/sbin and there is no "mount" or "vfat" or "fat" or
even "hfs" in this dir (...not that I know that these need to be
there...but why else would it not find the file?)

I'm still seeing the 16Mb partition in Disk Utility (showing up as
e250), but I'm afraid to try anything with it directly for fear of
*really* bricking the player. It's frustrating seeing the player in
DU, but not being able to mount it.

To clarify: I broke this Sansa because I *formatted* it OS X
(journaled)...I don't know what is was before that. Out of the box,
Sansa players are only designed to be used with Windows, so I'm not
sure how this affects what we're trying to do here on a Mac.

Will the 16Mb partition properly re-format the usable partition in the
correct format during recovery mode? Otherwise I feel like we're
wasting our time trying to mount it, if it will never see it.

I'm becoming despondent.