Subject: Re: Advice Please

Re: Advice Please

From: Mike Holden <rockbox_at_mikeholden.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 15:05:18 -0000 (UTC)

Margaret Smith wrote:
> Hello Everyone
>
> I am a new member on this list, and a complete beginner regarding the use
> of Rockbox.
>
> I have very recently acquired an Iriver H3 40. This was purchased
> second-hand and I seem to have inherited a problem with the machine. It
> is working superbly for the full length of the battery charge. However,
> when this is discharged, the unit dies immediately, and in spite of
> re-charging the machine, it won't start and several re-sets are needed.
>
> I have contacted the main service centre in Germany, and they seem to feel
> that the problem might be Rockbox rather than Iriver. A kind friend
> installed the Rockbox for me, using files which she has installed on her
> own machine. The customer services rep has suggested that I should
> disable Rockbox and see how the Iriverr works before sending the unit back
> for repair. I think that ultimately I will send it back to ensure that it
> is working properly. However, is there any way I can find out whether
> Rockbox is in fact installed correctly, and also that I have the most
> up-to-date files available for Iriver.
>
> Sorry if this message seems rather long and complicated. I would
> appreciate any advice on what is best to do.
>
> Many thanks and best wishes
>
> Margaret Smith

Easiest thing would be to follow the installation instructions on the
website, using a current build, downloaded from the rockbox website.

As for iRiver support, I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them
:-) They will do anything to avoid having to do anything. I sent mine back
for a hardware problem, and they installed the latest firmware on it and
sent it back, but the problem was still there :-( They will blame rockbox
as it is an easy call for them and saves them the need to actually do any
work.

Top marks to you for even getting any response back from them - most
people hear nothing after reporting stuff to them.
--
Mike Holden
http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop for all manner of hand crafted