Subject: Any suggestions for (preferably) UK-based, quality headphone socket repairers?

Any suggestions for (preferably) UK-based, quality headphone socket repairers?

From: Christopher Woods <christof_at_infinitus.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 03:58:08 -0000

My trusty H140 has had a lingering problem with its headphone output for a
while now. In essence, if you don't apply a slight amount of constant
lateral pressure to the jack while headphones are plugged in, you only hear
the 'side' element of the mid/side signal (everything sounds squelchy and
'wrong', and you only hear the parts of the music which are mostly based in
one stereo channel, so hardly any vocals at all, etc... I'm sure you know
what I mean).

I know it's got to be a wiring or soldering issue, either with the socket
itself or the joints to the PCB, but the issue I have with the H140 is that
the jack's sandwiched in the middle of the boards and it's REALLY fiddly to
get to. I'm not an expert with a soldering iron (in fact, I'm godawful) and
these units are harder and harder to get hold of - but equally, I hate the
fact that my device has had to take a bout of early retirement because I
don't want to worsen the symptoms any further.

I saw a company that'd fix headphone socket problems for a flat fee of £50
once, but that was at least a year ago... Does anybody know, or can suggest,
a repairer for this kind of problem - preferably someone in the UK, even
more desirably in the Birmingham / West Midlands region? I'd be more than
willing to pay a reasonable price to get the job sorted, because I just
can't do it myself in the confidence that I'll do it well enough to last.

Cheers
Christopher