Subject: Re: Database and podcasts

Re: Database and podcasts

From: Dave Thayer <rockbox_at_thayer-boyle.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 21:57:48 -0600

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 10:03:03AM +0100, BoD wrote:
> Anybody?
> (sorry to insist)
>
> BoD
>

> BoD wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm trying to make my podcast listening life better, with the use of
>> Rockbox.
>>
>> I've been trying to modify a bit the "Podcasts, Old and New" example
>> on http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/DataBase. I'd like to
>> sort the new podcasts by date, with the most recent ones on top. But
>> if I understand correctly, this is not possible because you can't
>> really use the "entryage" field for sorting.
>> Am I correct? If so, any idea on how I could do that?
>>
>> Also, if you have other ways to improve the podcast "experience" with
>> Rockbox, don't hesitate to share them here :)

I don't use the tag database for podcasts, mainly because bookmarking
doesn't work with the database. Instead, I use the database for music,
and listen to podcasts using the file view. This way I can leave the
default directory sort order on sort-by-date, which works well with
podcasts.

The script which I use to load podcasts to RB looks inside the
bookmark file and removes any files older than the most recent
bookmark. Before last summer, RB would automatically leave a bookmark
when it finished all of the files in a directory, but this behaviour
was fixed (FS#6341). Alas, this broke part of my podcast workflow, and
now I have to remember to maually bookmark the last file in a podcast
in order to remove all of the older ones.

The behaviour I would like to see would be some sort of mechanism
which, for podcasts only, would pop up a prompt to delete (or flag for
deletion) a file when you finish listening to it. If you have a TiVo
you would know what I'm talking about. That and bookmarks in the
database...

dt

--
Dave Thayer           | Whenever you read a good book, it's like the
Denver, Colorado USA  | author is right there, in the room talking to