Translations

Rockbox mail archive

Subject: Re: GSoC PROJECT-ui design

Re: GSoC PROJECT-ui design

From: Dave Chapman <dave_at_dchapman.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 14:54:20 +0000

abhineshwar tomar wrote:
> hello sir its abhineshwar tomar, i want to work over the project of
> designing screens for rockbox under the title rockbox code base
> i have some idea of making the screens/interfaces make more interactive and
> user friendy and want to show my designs(pen drawn)
> sir just need to get a proper link for the same....i have totally read your
> projects page and this struck me.....i would also like to make some other
> changes in the rockbox code base to make it better
> in short i want to help rockbox......just tell me from where i should
> start....i'm an undergraduate from india.....in 2nd year of my bachelor's
> degree........
> thank you sir

I'm not quite sure I understand what you are asking.

If you want to change Rockbox's UI then you will first need to
understand why it is the way it is - Rockbox works on many different
devices, with very different LCDs (some devices have two LCDs - one on a
remote), and Rockbox's UI is also voiced (i.e. it speaks to you).

Any changes will need to take those factors into account.

I would suggest you come to the IRC channel and talk to the other
developers about your proposals, or maybe start a Wiki page, and upload
some designs there.

But be aware that "user friendly" isn't easy to define - what some users
find friendly, other users abhor, so the challenge is finding something
that pleases most people, and that the others can live with.

Dave.