Subject: Re: Sansa versions

Re: Sansa versions

From: Mark Allums <>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 18:22:55 -0500

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Mar 2008, Mark Allums wrote:
>> For instance, Sansdisk tried to lock out Rockbox on the E200 R-series
>> player, because of their deal with Rhapsody. Rhapsody wanted
>> exclusive access to the player for their subscription service, and
>> Rockbox has no provision for that.
> I don't think they tried to specicily lock us out. I think they (Real)
> simply used the provisions that existed in a way the SanDisk guys
> obviously failed to do. Like how they fixed the flaw in the digital
> signature check.

Okay. I don't mean to say that they tried to *specifically* lock
Rockbox out. I think that Rhapsody wanted exclusive access, and made
sure that *everybody* was locked out. Part of that was certainly fixing
the digital signature check.

>> The V2 players have different hardware, so the V1 Rockbox version
>> won't work, and will probably brick your player if you succeed in
>> getting the firmware installed.
> There's just no risk anyone would accidentally upgrade a v2 sansa with a
> v1 firmware or vice versa. They use completely different file formats.

Thanks for clarifying that. I wasn't clear. I was sort of being a bit
witty, since obviously succeeding getting the firmware on a V2 would be
a bit of a feat. I see I didn't succeed at being witty at all. :)

--Mark Allums, trying to know it all, and failing.