Subject: RE: Need assistance with Iriver H10 and Rockbox

RE: Need assistance with Iriver H10 and Rockbox

From: Hussein Patwa <hspatwa_at_talktalk.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 12:27:06 -0000

> Subject: Need assistance with Iriver H10 and Rockbox
>
> I'm a blind person and have the Iriver H10 and Rockbox on it.
> I was looking through my menus, yesterday and pressed the
> select menu on Language". After that I lost all the speech.
> Can anyone tell me how to get the speech back without sighted
> assistance? If I need to get someone to help me, will they
> be able to read the screen, since I've also turned the
> display light down, to preserve battery life? I hope someone
> can help.
>
> Cindy Handel

Hi Cindy,

What's probably happened is that you accidentally selected a language other
than that for which your voice file was designed. This caused the voice to
conflict with the system's text language and thus break.

The easiest thing to do is to probably delete your rockbox directory in the
root folder of your player whilst it is connected to your computer via USB.
Then download the latest daily build for your player and unzip it back to
the root folder:

Not sure if you have the 5GB or 20GB of the H10 and if there's even a
difference so for safety's sake I've given both links:
H10 5GB Rockbox:
http://download.rockbox.org/daily/h10_5gb/rockbox-h10_5gb.zip
H10 5GB Voice: http://www.rockbox.org/voices/h10_5gb-20080324-english.voice
H10 2GB Rockbox: http://download.rockbox.org/daily/h10/rockbox-h10.zip
H10 20GB Voice: http://www.rockbox.org/voices/h10-20080324-english.voice

You will lose any previous specific configurations, WPS modifications or
equalizer presets.

There's probably a simple way to edit the language used just by modifying a
config file rather then replacing the whole package, but this is the 'lazy'
way I can think of getting you up and running for now.

HTH.

Kind Regards and Best Wishes

Hussein Patwa
Tel: 01224 783228