Subject: Re: Some Questions re iPod and iPod

Re: Some Questions re iPod and iPod

From: David Hall <dmhall_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 07:36:00 -0400

Hussein Patwa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry some of these are probably on the website already, but my screen
> reader is breaking due to the long commits page so I can't access that.
>
> 1. Does Rockbox work with the Gigabeat F60 Remote Control?

Yes
> 2. My iPod used to be useable through the Rockbox interface whilst connected
> to USB. Now when I connect it (latest builds since about mid-Feb) it just
> sits there with a black screen (probably disk mode) and I can't use the iPod
> itself, just play tracks from the drive via my computer.

Hold down the "Menu" (top button) while inserting the USB cable to
prevent this.
> 3. Is it true that, assuming one is already in Rockbox and connects via USB,
> that charging will not complete fully? Is it true that one should boot into
> the Apple firmware to charge from USB?

I can not answer this one as I still charge in Apple firmware, out of habit.
> 4. I read somewhere (not on the rockbox site), that apparently when just
> plugged in normally via USB the iPod will actually discharge some.
> Apparently there is a mode where the charge will draw full power, but in
> this mode the drive becomes inaccessible to the computer. This apparently
> gives a faster and fuller charge. Is this correct or a fairy tale?

Even if the iPod is not drawing the full 500ma of USB power, it should
charge in Rockbox, if slowly. I am not aware of a situation where the
iPod consumes more than the 100ma provided by low-power USB.
> 5. Is there a page on the site showing what peripherals for iPod and
> Gigabeat are supported by Rockbox? E.g., docking stations (for playing
> music through speakers whilst charging), remote control, other iPod
> accessories, etc?

There is not a wiki page describing Gigabeat accessories - but there is
one for iPod Accessories:
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/IpodAccessories
If I recall correctly, you are a non-sighted user. If so I would really
appreciate some feedback on the Ipod Accessories wiki page. I am not
sure how accessible such a table format page is.

--Soap