Subject: JBR V1 hardware question

JBR V1 hardware question

From: Neon John <jgd_at_johngsbbq.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 02:20:22 -0400

This isn't exactly software-related but since there are a number of Archos hardware
gurus here....

A few days ago one of my kittys knocked my JBR off and it landed smack on the
charging plug. As part of my standard prep of a JBR, I open it up, resolder the
headphone and power jacks and superglue them to the board. This makes the thing
bullet-proof to normal mishaps but apparently not this one. This impact was enough
to break both the superglue and the solder.

I opened 'er up and soldered and re-glued the jack. Now I have a different problem.
When I plug in the charger, Rockbox recognizes it immediately. The plug icon comes
on. BUT. Rockbox quickly registers 100% charge but no charge reaches the batteries.
The batteries run down. I've measured the battery compartment terminals with no
batteries present. zero volts. And Rockbox won't boot into the charging screen.

So it seems, the path from the charging jack and regulator chip to the A/D input is
intact while the path to the batteries isn't. I'm currently charging the batteries
on an external charger but I want to fix this problem. Before I rip into the thing
again, I'm soliciting suggestions from JBR hardware experts as to physically where I
ought to start looking. This is probably going to be a broken trace from board
flexure during the drop but since there is a lot of stuff around the charging jack,
I'm soliciting advice before I proceed.

Thanks,
John
--