Subject: Re: Album art and special characters

Re: Album art and special characters

From: Andrew Hart <ahart_at_dim.uchile.cl>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 08:52:47 -0400

asettico wrote:
> Hi all,
> is it possible to fix following case with no source modification?
>
> An album title contains some special characters (!, ?), so the file name
> of the related bitmap should contains those characters too, but in FAT32
> are illegal.
Exclamation marks (!) are allowable in FAT32 file names. Unfortunately,
Windows Explorer is more restrictive in what characters it lets you use
in file names compared to the command-line.

The definite no-no's that immediately come to mind are : \ ? | < > * =

> The only solution that comes in my mind is to remove them by the album
> title, changing its right name. ;-)
>
> Some suggestions?

I often find I have to change file names when ripping from CD, in which
case I usually try to change the illegal character or remove it. For
example, colons get changed to full stops or semicolons, question marks
get removed, etc.