Subject: Re: Album art and special characters

Re: Album art and special characters

From: Mark Allums <mark_at_allums.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 00:13:02 -0500

Andrew Hart wrote:
> I wasn't aware of the special use of semicolons in CD's. Thanks for
> that. They are, nonetheless, valid in FATXX and NTFS. However,
> regarding *nix, I'm aware the semicolon is uses for placing more than
> one command on a line, etc., However, I do believe that virtually any
> character is valid because you can escape characters in the shell or
> enclose them in double quotes, etc. Please correct me if I am wrong.

You are correct. I just avoid them out of habit.

It's not a big deal. The ISO standard allows semi-colons in names as
well, since it allows any character that is allowed in MS-DOS and is
standard ASCII. With extensions like Joliet, it isn't a problem at all.

It's more of a "beware of buggy software" problem than a real issue.

--
Mark Allums