Subject: Re: Album art and special characters

Re: Album art and special characters

From: asettico <asettico_at_rossomaltese.it>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 11:51:33 +0200

*Chisel Wright <chisel_at_herlpacker.co.uk> ha scritto*:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 01:21:21PM +0200, asettico wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> is it possible to fix following case with no source modification?
>>
>> An album title contains some special characters (!, ?), so the file name of
>> the related bitmap should contains those characters too, but in FAT32 are
>> illegal.
>>
>> The only solution that comes in my mind is to remove them by the album
>> title, changing its right name. ;-)
>
> I'm a little confused ... how does this affect the album art?
>
> I can't remember exactly what my CD ripper does; it does change some
> filenames because of the "dubious" characters in a artist/album/song
> name.
> What confuses me further is why this is a problem - I have some slightly
> renamed files - so I still know what they are - and the correct
> information in the ID3 tags.

I beg your pardon: I left a piece of question in my head. The complete
one is the following: how can I name a cover art file to be showed
correctly, relating to the ID3 tag album title, which contains some
forbidden characters?

I have some cases in which some tracks from different albums are
stored in the same directory (i.e. for not completed albums). I have
the cover art of these albums, but I can't name them as "cover.bmp",
obviously to avoid collisions, so I must name them as "<title>.bmp",
following the precedence described in
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/AlbumArt.
Which name should you use in those cases?

TIA.
--
  ,= ,-_-. =.  asettico ~ [ http://rossomaltese.it/   ]
((_/)o o(\_)) OpenPGP ~~ [ 1024D/1CB926BA 2003-11-29 ]