Subject: Re: Album art and special characters

Re: Album art and special characters

From: asettico <asettico_at_rossomaltese.it>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 18:22:55 +0200

*bascule.42274043_at_bloglines.com ha scritto*:
>> following the precedence described in
>> http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/AlbumArt.
>
> I'm also confused as to
> why this is a problem. The filename of the cover art has to exactly match
> the *filename* of the audio track, not the metadata information.

This is wrong: check the link above.

> So therefore,
> if the filesystem is restricting the choice of characters, then it will do
> so for both files.
>
> If the problem is that Windows will allow certain characters
> to exist in a filename, but not allow the user to write those same
> characters,
> then it is an application problem. Maybe try renaming the cover art with a
> different application (i.e., not Windows Explorer)

It's not an application limit, it's a file system limit.
I'm not using Windows at all, I'm using GNU with support for FAT32
file system, that prevents me to use some characters for file names.

Since I feel there are some unclear questions, I describe my situation.

In a directory I (would like to) have tracks from different albums
with related album art, something like:
     title1.1.mp3 (ID3 album: album1)
     title1.2.mp3 (ID3 album: album1)
     title2.1.mp3 (ID3 album: album2)
     title2.2.mp3 (ID3 album: album2)
     album1.bmp
     album2.bmp
(yes, the Album Art _does support_ ID3 information).

Unfortunately, the album titles are "Who the fuck is Sandro Oliva?!?"
and "Why do you think you arf?" (they are really those ones, I'm not
jocking), and those question marks are forbidden for a FAT32 fs.
So I have to rename the album art bitmap name, _and also_ the content
of the ID3 to allow matching.

How would you solve it? ;-)
--
  ,= ,-_-. =.  asettico ~ [ http://rossomaltese.it/   ]
((_/)o o(\_)) OpenPGP ~~ [ 1024D/1CB926BA 2003-11-29 ]