Subject: Re: question about running the battery on my player down

Re: question about running the battery on my player down

From: victor rajewski <askvictor_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:37:19 +1000

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 9:24 AM, Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> alex wallis wrote:
>
> > I hate recharging it when its not completely dead.
> >
> With lithium based batteries it's perfectly acceptable (and according to
> some sources even preferred) to make smaller charges, rather than running it
> down and charging it completely. Why do you want to run it all the way down?
> Intentionally running it down is a good way to simply wear out your battery.

There is a reason to run down a Lithium battery from time to time - to
reset the fuel gauge. While half charging it has no adverse effect on
the battery life, it eventually confuses the fuel gauge, and may lead
to inaccurate readings. Every few months it is good to completely
flatten, then completely charge the battery. That could be the reason
you're not seeing 100%.

vik