Subject: Re: question about running the battery on my player down

Re: question about running the battery on my player down

From: asettico <asettico_at_rossomaltese.it>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 15:02:20 +0200

*victor rajewski <askvictor_at_gmail.com> ha scritto*:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 9:24 AM, Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> alex wallis wrote:
>>
>> > I hate recharging it when its not completely dead.
>> >
>> With lithium based batteries it's perfectly acceptable (and according to
>> some sources even preferred) to make smaller charges, rather than running it
>> down and charging it completely. Why do you want to run it all the way down?
>> Intentionally running it down is a good way to simply wear out your battery.
>
> There is a reason to run down a Lithium battery from time to time - to
> reset the fuel gauge. While half charging it has no adverse effect on
> the battery life, it eventually confuses the fuel gauge, and may lead
> to inaccurate readings. Every few months it is good to completely
> flatten, then completely charge the battery. That could be the reason
> you're not seeing 100%.

The link posted by Bertrik explains very well this.

I checked the battery charge behaviour using the r17111 _not patched_
and I rediscovered the reassuring "100%". It's possible that the patch
8603 changed some calibration IMVHO.
--
  ,= ,-_-. =.  asettico ~ [ http://rossomaltese.it/   ]
((_/)o o(\_)) OpenPGP ~~ [ 1024D/1CB926BA 2003-11-29 ]