Subject: Re: Selling my iAudio X5

Re: Selling my iAudio X5

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:00:31 -0500

> What, Paul, is so wrong with top posting? Please do enlighten us, and not
> just tell us that we shouldn't do it.

1) Fully quoting the entire replied to message fills the archives with
many, many duplicates. Contextual quoting is much more efficient.
2) Contextual quoting preserves a normal flow of conversation, as well
as meaning that someone new to the conversation can see the question
being responded to BEFORE seeing the response, rather than having to
reference footnotes.
3) The people who made the rules for this list, which have been in place
since before I became involved in any way, said that they're the rules.
So ask them why the rules exist, not me. They defined them, not me. I
could simply say that, from my perspective, what's wrong with it is that
there are posted guidelines for this list and they say not to do it, and
until such time as you talk the list owner into changing them, violating
them is wrong whether you agree with the guidelines or not, or whether
they even have reason, because it's not your list. It's very similar to
walking on the grass when you see a 'do not walk on the grass' sign: You
may not think there's any harm in walking on the grass, but it's not
your grass nor your right to make such a decision about someone else's
grass. This is not your list, so the rules for it are as posted by the
owners until such time as they change, whether or not you see good
reason for them.