Subject: Re: problem with mp3 player hd

Re: problem with mp3 player hd

From: Glenn Ervin <GlennErvin_at_cableone.net>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 18:04:24 -0500

Alex wrote:
My player is a h140, and for some time now, i've been having problems with
the drive. Its been really slow when accessing some files. So today, i
decided to move everything off it i could, and then do a reformat. I got
everything off the drive apart from around 1 gb. At that point the drive
started getting really slow when copying stuff, and eventually came up with
an error saying it couldn't copy a file because of a cyclic redundancy check
having failed.
So then I gave up on recovery, and went googling. The consensus on
misticriver.net and other sites seemed to be that I should reformat my
drive. So I went into the dos prompt and told it to format. The format has
now reached 85 percent and it has been stuck at this point for around 20
minutes. I think there is obviously a physical defect with the drive that
the format can't get past. I no obviously I should replace the drive, but in
the mean time what should i do about the format? i don't really want to pull
the USB cable out in case that turns my player into a paper weight
permanantly.
**
Hi Alex,
I don't know if this helps you now, but I would always do a scandisk before
copying out files to format the drive. You may be copying out corrupted
files, which otherwise, a scandisk can fix. I don't know if a scandisk does
anything that a format cannot fix, but in terms of saving your files, the
scandisk can usually fix things, along with drive problems as it has to do
with writing to and reading from the disk.
But you can also try going into Administrative Tools, and find "disk
management" and repartition the drive, and then format it, and perhaps that
will help.
Glenn
Hi list. Well i guess this will teach me for bying what was claimed to be a
new drive for my mp3 player from Hong Kong on ebay. i'm having real problems
with it and would welcome some help.
[...]
Thanks very much for your help.
Alex.
Oh just out of interest, does anyone no if anything came of that guy who was
going to get a load of IDE to zif adapters? as guess I might be needing one
now.