Subject: Re: Power from USB?

Re: Power from USB?

From: Antony Stone <Antony.Stone_at_rockbox.open.source.it>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 11:32:23 +0100

On Saturday 24 May 2008 10:57, Paul Louden wrote:

> > If I press REC and then plug in USB, it starts recording.
>
> This is actually the case where it's working.

Oh! Is there some visual (and, preferably, audible through the voice prompts,
since this device is also used by a blind user who loves the Rockbox
voice-prompt menu system) indication that charging is happening?

> Your player will be charging, and if you do it quickly enough you shouldn't
> actually start recording.

Hm, as far as I can tell, recording starts instantly when I press the REC
button (which, to be fair, I would want it to if I'd pressed REC in order to
start a recording).

There certainly isn't time to co-ordinate plugging in a USB connector as well
before the device thinks "Oh, I'll start recording, then".

> There is a plan to choose a button that has less effect, but there's some
> discussion still going on in regard to a standard behaviour choice for USB
> charging.

I would have though the A-B button would be a better choice - it may take you
to the quick menu, but pressing it again will get you back out again, and
either way it doesn't change what the device itself is actually *doing*,
whereas starting to record is, well, a bit of an unfriendly nuisance, I
think.

Certainly it should be documented in the manual as a quirk / side-effect?

Antony.

--
"It is easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of them by the sense of
achievement you get from getting them to work at all. In other words - and