Subject: Re: problem with generating rockbox voice

Re: problem with generating rockbox voice

From: Daniel Dalton <d.dalton_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 21:41:27 +1000 (EST)

On Sun, 25 May 2008, Antony Stone wrote:

> On Sunday 25 May 2008 11:18, Dominik Riebeling wrote:
>
>> On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 1:16 AM, Daniel Dalton <d.dalton_at_iinet.net.au>
> wrote:
>>
>>> No, accessibility on linux is very good with gtk, and the command line! I
>>> use the cmd line all the time for most tasks.
>>
>> Well, I never understood why a blind guy would want to use a
>> GUI-centric OS like windows anyway
>
> That's simple - what platform is the majority of software produced for, and if
> that's GUI-based, what platform has a working screenreader?

Well, orca and gnome? However, a lot of things can be done in the cli.

> Blind users don't _want_ to use Windows - they want to use applications - but
> they have to accept the platform those applications are accessible to them on
> (which means the apps run, and a screenreader works).

As I said most things are possible from the cli.

> Even using the web for a blind user is near impossible under Linux - there's
> no command-line browser which supports javascript, and no out-of-the box
> distro which includes a working screenreader (Gnopernicus is dead, and a

That is not true, lynx will work with most websites. The websites it does
not work with can be viewed in firefox using orca with either braille or
speech.
I prefer to use my brltty setup from a command line, but I think sadly one
day that will have to change.

> working Orca hasn't made it into most distros - with the possible exception
> of the latest Knoppix, which I'm currently evaluating).

Obviously, you haven't played with many distros or done any research?
Ubuntu comes with orca installed, 2.22 I believe and so does debian.
Or if debian doesn't come with it installed by default it is certainly in
the repo.

And I also believe fedora and lots of other distros have it.
But ubuntu and debian have quite recent versions.

>> -- it's much easier to extract the text from the command line as it isn't
>> rendered to graphics and you don't make heavy use of windows, isn't it?
>
> Show us a command-line browser which works with modern websites, and plenty of
> blind users will happily abandon the GUI :)

Well, lynx will work with 80-90% of websites and then the gui can be used
for the other 10 or 20% of websites.

> I know of no other screenreader under active development than Orca, and it's

Well, orca is the only gui one, however, there is speakup which I don't
use, and brltty which is kind of related I guess...

This is kind of ot for this list, so if you would like to continue this
conversation, please reply off list.

Thanks,

--
Daniel Dalton