Subject: Question Regarding Iriver IHP 100 Series

Question Regarding Iriver IHP 100 Series

From: Tanya Harrison <wirl_at_orcon.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 21:45:54 +1200

Hi List,

A couple of months ago, my partner put the build of Rockbox that was
released on about the 23rd of March, version 17675, for the Iriver
IHP 120 and 140 series on my Iriver. As he's more computer savy than
me, he used it for a few weeks to iron out the quirks before showing
me how to use it. He has definitely read the manual all the way
through more than once, he is very familiar with Lynox and compilers
for programs. Occasionally Rockbox has locked up on my Iriver, which
is incidentally an IHP140. I've found it often locks up whilst I'm
reading through a list of files in a folder. I've used the Voicebox
software to tag all my filenames so they're not spelt out. I had
trouble understanding the voice which came with Rockbox, so my
partner rebuilt it using the Neo-Speech Kate voice. I've also used
her for the tagging of all my filenames with the Voicebox software.
Due to the lockups, I've had to reset it using a safety pin as the
reset hole was too small for the insertion of a pen or a Braille
stylus. Unfortunately this morning I had to press it once too often,
and now the reset button has gone inside the unit, which means I'll
have to get the unit fixed.

Just for a bit of history's sake, I've had my Iriver since around
October 2004, and never had to reset it before installing Rockbox, so
I had no idea how fragile the reset button would become.
Unfortunately I have dropped it from a height of about two feet, or
around half a metre three times, twice on a carpeted concrete floor
when it was in a padded case, and once on a wooden floor when it
wasn't in its case, but as far as I can recall it wasn't in use when
I dropped it. Before my accident with it this morning, it didn't
rattle if shaken.

If it's okay, I've got a few questions I'd appreciate answers for,
which will help me to decide whether or not it is viable to get my
Iriver fixed. Sorry if the questions aren't in a logical order, but
I'll try and make them as clear as I can.

1. For long term Rockbox users who have worked with the Iriver IHP
100 series, have you ever had to get your reset button fixed, and if
so, how long has the repair lasted?

2. Could the lockups be occurring because my Iriver's drive has never
been reformatted since I purchased the unit in 2004?

3. Could the lockups be caused because of some kind of conflict
between the Rockbox software and Neo Speech Kate? My partner wondered
about this as the voice files using Kate are bigger than the voice
files which originally came with Rockbox, so he thought it might be
possible Kate is taking up too much memory?

I'm really hoping it will be worth getting my Iriver fixed, as not
only do I love the unit, I have really grown to love the
accessibility of Rockbox. As a totally blind person, I have tried
adaptive products for Vision Impaired people, and have found them
lacking in bass, even with their latest releases of firmware, even on
$400 headphones. Simply put, I love the sound of my Iriver, and
although there are lots of players coming out which use high capacity
SD cards, I love the 40GB capacity of my Iriver, and if my drive
needs to be replaced, I would get the biggest I could find at the
time. Also, I am having increasing problems with short-term memory
loss, so I'm rather daunted about having to learn to use a new
player, and on top of that to have to lern Rockbox all over again.

I would deeply appreciate any constructive feedback, so please feel
free to email me, either on list or privately if you feel the list
traffic is too high, either way is fine by me. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Tanya

There are beautiful people out there,
Make room for all the special ones in your life.