Subject: Re: back on the old topic of generating sapi 4 voices

Re: back on the old topic of generating sapi 4 voices

From: Jens Arnold <arnold-j_at_t-online.de>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 09:14:01 +0200

On 10.06.2008, alex wallis wrote:

> and the script ran ok, however it didn't tell me the numerical
> IDs that i can put in my sapi_voice.vbs file in order to get a
> reed voice generated, all the script output was the names of
> the available sapi 4 voices. So could someone please advise me
> what I am doing wrong? as am I right in thinking I don't put
> the hole massive voice name into the sapi_voice.vbs file?
> for example
> English-American: Reed (Adult Male) Reed was one of the things
> the script output. Unless I have completely misunderstood,
> when me and Peter herngaard have exchanged e mails in the
> past, he i think was saying i needed to put an integer number
> into the sapi_voice.vbs file at a given point, however the
> list_sapi_4_voices.vbs file was not giving me numbers, only
> the names as in the example above,. the command i put in to
> run the script was cscript list_sapi_4_voices.vbs Any help
> would be very welcome. Alex.

You are not supposed to edit sapi-voice.vbs at all. What you
need to do if you want to build a SAPI4 voice file using a
certain voice is the following:

In a (fresh) build dir, run 'configure', select your target,
select '(A)dvanced' then '(V)oice', select the language (English
in your case), select (S)API, and when it comes to entering the
SAPI options, enter the follwing:

/sapi4 /voice:<desired_voice>

Note that there must be mo space between /voice: and the name
of the voice, and if the voice name contains spaces, you need to
put the whole argument in single quotes, i.e.
'/voice:<desired voice>'

You also don't need the oooold list_sapi_4_voices.vbs to show
the list of available voices. sapi_voice can do this for you
too.

cscript sapi_voice.vbs /listvoices /language:english

will list the available SAPI5 voices for English, and

cscript sapi_voice.vbs /listvoices /language:english /sapi4

will list the available SAPI4 voices for English, comma
separated.

Regards, Jens