Subject: Re: can't hard-reset ipod

Re: can't hard-reset ipod

From: Mark Fraser <>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 14:22:20 +0100

On Thursday 19 June 2008 01:35:20 Jeremy Nikolai wrote:
> I tried updating my ipod (60gb 5g video) a couple days ago to the latest
> daily build; after installing and restarting the bootloader comes up, stops
> at "Rockbox loaded", and won't respond to anything, including a hard reset.
> If I run the battery out and reset from the dead battery charging screen,
> it responds (going back to that screen) - and if I leave it charging for a
> few minutes (but still on the dead battery screen), I can do a hard reset,
> get an apple logo, "Loading original firmware...", and it stays there...
> and I'm running out of ideas.
> As it is now, I have no way of getting into usb mode, and I think it might
> be bricked... I've been using rockbox for years, updating every few
> months, and never had any trouble updating (or recovering from a bad
> update) before... Any ideas, or anyone seen this before?

Have you tried forcing it into USB mode AKA disk mode? Try this:

1 Before placing the iPod into disk mode, you should verify that it is
2 Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Set it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
3 Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons for at least 6 seconds until the
Apple logo appears.
4 When the Apple logo appears, release the Menu and Select buttons and
immediately press and hold the Select and the Play/Pause buttons until the
Disk Mode screen appears.

List admin: