Subject: Re: A Beginner's Question

Re: A Beginner's Question

From: Mark Allums <>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 07:54:49 -0500

Darren Duff wrote:
> get a IPOD touch. you can use JAILBREAK on them instead of rockbox and
> then you can download 3rd party software! I have a sandisk sansa and
> they are good mp3 players. they have video and stuff but if you want a
> big hard drive...lots of memory...then you should go with an iPOD
> JAILBREAK? What's that?

Jailbreak is a hack used to get iPhones and iPod touches opened up so
you can run non-Apple-approved software on them.

I don't recommend this, because Apple may brick your player with an
update, *DELIBERATELY*. They have already done this with hacked
iPhones. They threatened to do it, warned people about it, and then
they did it. And they have said that they will do it again, as often as
necessary. So far, no antitrust class-action lawsuits have been filed,
and the gummint hasn't made any moves to prevent this anti-competitive

So far as I know, they haven't taken official notice of Rockbox. They
probably won't, since Rockbox is so useful to visually-impaired users.
We hope.

So try it at your own risk, as they say.

Mark Allums
List admin: