Subject: Re: A Beginner's Question

Re: A Beginner's Question

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 11:20:17 -0500

Antony Stone wrote:

> I meant it as a serious question - how is a visually impaired user supposed to
> use an iPod touch? I don't see that it's possible (no pun intended).

First: Rockbox doesn't run on the touch. At all. It's off topic for this
list.

But since there is an upcoming Rockbox port for a touchscreen player,
I'll cover an idea for how it could work fairly easily:

Any rectangular screen can be divided fairly easy into 9 segments. Upper
Left, center left, lower left, upper center, center, etc. These segments
are big enough that if you can hold the device, you can land your finger
approximately in any of them, except possibly center-center, reliably
enough. Thus, they can be treated, at least minimally, like buttons.
Eight buttons, possibly nine, should be enough to create the fundamental
controls of Rockbox for blind users, though you probably end up with a
control scheme quite far from ideal for sighted users.

Please, take further discussion of the iPod Touch itself elsewhere. This
is not a generic list for blind users of MP3 players, but a Rockbox
Users list for questions and topics directly pertaining to Rockbox itself.