Subject: Re: A Beginner's Question

Re: A Beginner's Question

From: Mike Hodson <>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 14:02:00 -0600

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Paul Louden <> wrote:

> But since there is an upcoming Rockbox port for a touchscreen player, I'll
> cover an idea for how it could work fairly easily:
> Any rectangular screen can be divided fairly easy into 9 segments. Upper
> Left, center left, lower left, upper center, center, etc. These segments are
> big enough that if you can hold the device, you can land your finger
> approximately in any of them, except possibly center-center, reliably
> enough. Thus, they can be treated, at least minimally, like buttons. Eight
> buttons, possibly nine, should be enough to create the fundamental controls
> of Rockbox for blind users, though you probably end up with a control scheme
> quite far from ideal for sighted users.

I figure that you can have a sighted person do something similar to
what is done for all normal phone keyboards and computer keyboards:
put some sort of adhesive 'bead' or a drop of superglue or anything
that won't rub off easily on the 'center' button. Look at your
cellphone, there should be a raised dot on the 5. Same with the f and
j keys on a keyboard.

This should work rather well I would guess for alignment.
List admin: