Subject: Re: A Beginner's Question

Re: A Beginner's Question

From: Antony Stone <>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 22:22:34 +0100

On Sunday 22 June 2008 21:02, Mike Hodson wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Paul Louden <> wrote:
> >
> > Any rectangular screen can be divided fairly easy into 9 segments. Upper
> > Left, center left, lower left, upper center, center, etc. These segments
> > are big enough that if you can hold the device, you can land your finger
> > approximately in any of them, except possibly center-center, reliably
> > enough.
> I figure that you can have a sighted person do something similar to
> what is done for all normal phone keyboards and computer keyboards:
> put some sort of adhesive 'bead' or a drop of superglue or anything
> that won't rub off easily on the 'center' button. Look at your
> cellphone, there should be a raised dot on the 5. Same with the f and
> j keys on a keyboard.
> This should work rather well I would guess for alignment.

There's an important difference with a touchscreen, though - you can't put
your finger on the bump and then work your way to other buttons from there,
because by the time you've touched anything to use it for alignment /
guidance, you've activated it.

Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.
                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.
List admin: