Subject: Re: H320 - How to simply power off of usb, music playing, without disk mode?

Re: H320 - How to simply power off of usb, music playing, without disk mode?

From: Mike Hodson <>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 11:40:09 -0600

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 10:54 AM, Antony Stone
<> wrote:

> I had exactly the same problem / puzzlement about this a while back:
> On Saturday 24 May 2008 10:24, Antony Stone wrote:
>> On Saturday 24 May 2008 10:57, Paul Louden wrote:
>> > If I press REC and then plug in USB, it starts recording.
>> This is actually the case where it's working. Your player will be
>> charging, and if you do it quickly enough you shouldn't actually start
>> recording. There is a plan to choose a button that has less effect, but
>> there's some discussion still going on in regard to a standard behaviour
>> choice for USB charging.
> From my perspective the REC button is not the ideal way to do this, and I
> understand that on other machines the A-B (or equivalent) button is (rather
> more helpfully) used.
> Either way, though, it appears to be fundamentally a documentation problem, in
> that the currently-working behaviour is not described very well.

I would have to agree. And, no matter how fast I connect the usb
cable and release the rec button or where I do this combo from, it
always goes into record mode.

I propose a question popup (if such a UI element is doable in the
current firmware) similar to the BlackBerry "Enable Mass Storage Mode?
(Yes/No) [ ]Don't ask this again" popup.

If you select the Don't ask checkbox, then it will save the choice you
make, and assume it as default from that point forward; ofcourse this
is settable when you go into the options for the device.

I think this would be a rather intuitive, simple, and unintrusive
method of choosing whether to use Disk Mode or simply get power.

I now have read the manual regarding Car Adaptor mode, and it makes
sense; but not quite in the same way I was thinking. If the popup
isn't doable, then could it be a simple "USB Mass Storage Mode"
option, Enabled/on/yes being the current behavior, and disabled/off/no
being the same as hitting rec right before plugging in the cord,
ofcourse, without the side effect of starting recording.

Finally, in as much as the A-B button suggestion, this sort of a
toggle option could also be added as the fourth 'quadrant' of the A-B
menu. It could be placed at the top, to compliment Shuffle, Show
Files, and Repeat.

> Hope this helps,

It does! But also creates a whole host of new questions and possibilities :)

List admin: