Subject: Re: Working with a used archos jukebox 6000

Re: Working with a used archos jukebox 6000

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 09:02:39 -0500

Antony Stone wrote:

> That's all very well, but I do find it rather petty that people will post a
> reply which *only* tells people about list rules, rather than (a) being
> helpful and trying to answer the question and also (b) reminding the original
> poster of the list rules.

So, what you're saying is "If you don't know the answer to a question,
you aren't allowed to remind the asker that the list has rules." I find
this somewhat difficult: What if someone asks a question that doesn't
belong on the list in the first
place? Or what if nobody knows the answer to the question? Can we no
longer remind the person of the rules?

It may seem petty to you, perhaps. Then again, if people read the
etiquette in the first place (or especially read it before quoting the
link and re-sending it to the list) this would never come up. Why not
blame the posters who're too lazy to bother in the first place, rather
than those of us who wish the list archive would stay clean and more
readable?

It seems to me perfectly reasonable that if someone sees a post breaking
the rules that they can remind the person of them, whether or not
they're capable of answering the question.