Subject: Upcoming Release 3.0

Upcoming Release 3.0

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:54:41 -0500

As many of you may know, at the recent Developer's Conference we decided
to make a strong push to finally get a release version 3.0 of Rockbox
out the door.

To this end, we will probably be making many tough decisions about
whether or not some players are at a level of working functionality good
enough to consider a "Release" version, and whether or not some features
are reliable enough to be included in the version. These decisions will
be decided by the developers, and will not be subject to voting. What
I'm asking for here is merely any opinions: Do you, as the users, have
any strong opinions on what players that you have personally used have
significant problems big enough that you personally would not be
comfortable with a build of Rockbox having a 3.0 release for it.

Here are some specific things to be aware of: This is NOT for
highlighting bugs you think need to be fixed before the release. The
release is going to happen. Any bug you mention here, you should assume
it will not be fixed by the release, and be pointing it out because you
personally think it's major enough to prevent a release for the player
you own. The bug must occur in the current build and have a flyspray number.

When responding to this email, list the players you think are unsuitable
for release, and the specific flyspray number for the bug. Do not bother
describing the bug, if the flyspray description in insufficient add a
comment there.

Also, the same applies to RBUtil: We would like to have a release
version of this to go with the release of the software. In the case of
it, list flyspray numbers of significant problems you feel should
prevent it from already being considered a release version. That means
major bugs folks.

Also, we are aware that accessibility features in RBUtil are not up to
par, and wish to apologize but it's unlikely there will be any drastic
improvement in the GUI version before the release in terms of the
accessibility of RBUtil itself (voice /talk generation, on the other
hand is something we want badly to work).

Thank you for your time,
Paul