Subject: Re: Recording on an iRiver H340 with external microphone

Re: Recording on an iRiver H340 with external microphone

From: Mark Allums <>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 14:05:47 -0500

Paul Louden wrote:
> Brian Hartgen wrote:
>> In the Recording settings/Format I can only see internal microphone, FM
>> or line-in.
> That's because you were misinformed and these are the only option. "Line
> in" just means "from an external source via the line in port." This is
> what to use if you plug *anything* into your player for recording, be it
> mic or some other sound source.

I do not have an iRiver H340, I was speaking generally. In general, you
don't want to use a "line-in" jack to plug in a microphone, unless your
microphone has a line-line level preamp. Or you have a separate preamp.

However, it may be that Rockbox or iRiver is using terminology that is a
little bit non-standard.

It will not hurt anything to try the line-in setting. If it works, then
you are gold.

Mark Allums
List admin: