Subject: Re: Recording on an iRiver H340 with external microphone

Re: Recording on an iRiver H340 with external microphone

From: Mark Allums <mark_at_allums.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 14:31:23 -0500

Paul Louden wrote:
> Mark Allums wrote:
>> I do not have an iRiver H340, I was speaking generally. In general,
>> you don't want to use a "line-in" jack to plug in a microphone,
>>

> When people ask questions on this list, please assume it's about Rockbox
> and the players it specifically runs on and make an answer you know is
> actually relevant to Rockbox. These players have a single input, "Line
> In", which you must use for recording from an external source. Ideal
> would be line level, but this is not always an option. So whether you
> "want" to or not, it's the only option for an external recording source.
> So yes, it is a "line in" in the real sense, but it's also the only
> option, so even though it's not "ideal" it's that or nothing.

I think it is important for people to understand the "system". The
analog audio "system" has been standardized for a long time. So,
perhaps, if it is a microphone jack, it should be called a microphone
jack. If it is a line-in jack, it should be called a "line-in" jack.

The two have different "levels" (volts/amps/
watts/power/amplitude/bias/whatever), and a different impedance. So
they should be kept separate, as much as possible.

And it helps when users of the equipment and software know the
difference. There may not be an "ideal" situation, but everyone should
know what the situation is.

Mark Allums