Subject: Re: Using Rockbox with iTunes

Re: Using Rockbox with iTunes

From: BH <brian63_at_btronics.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 17:27:51 -0400
Also, Amazon.com sells DRM-less mp3 files.

Jacob Rau wrote:
Is it true that you can't play music downloaded from iTunes store using
Rockbox?  If so, why is that?

The blatantly obvious fix to this situation is to burn, then rip the
encrypted songs. Sure, it will use many CD-Rs if you have a decent
library built up, but it's a last-ditch effort solution for a problem
created by Apple. And this solution is completely within iTunes. The
downside is that there is a bit of quality lost because you are
decoding a lossy file, then re-encoding to a lossy file. Then again,
audiophiles wouldn't be downloading lossy files from iTunes in the
first place.

As an alternative, there is a Windows-only application called
myFairTunes. It only works for something like version 7.0.5 or
earlier, as Apple sent a "cease-and-desist" letter awhile back.
However, this strips the encryption off the songs and spits them out
with an m4a extension--AAC format; this format is easily played by
Rockbox. You will need to search the web for this application as the
cease-and-desist shut down the HYMN project where it was hosted.
MajorGeeks had a version of this up last time I checked.

If you are using a Windows machine, your music will probably end up in
your "My Documents" folder, under "iTunes Music". There, if you find a
file with a .m4p extension, it's encrypted, and if you find a file
with a .m4a or .mp3 extension, it can be copied to a Rockbox-capable
player and should play just fine.

Good luck defeating the anal-retentive system Apple has put into
place. And for future reference, you are probably better off buying
the CD. You will get pure, unencrypted, full-quality audio as opposed
to the lossy, encrypted AAC files Apple has to offer.

Jacob

"Modern Americans behave as if intelligence were some sort of hideous deformity."

-Frank Zappa

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."

-Plato

“Stop throwing the Constitution in my face. It’s just a goddamned piece of paper!”

-George W. Bush