Subject: Re: rockbox not reading tags properly

Re: rockbox not reading tags properly

From: Magnus Holmgren <lear_at_algonet.se>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 10:08:23 +0200

Tommy Beadle wrote:

> Somewhat recently, it has seemed that the reading of certain tags in
> random MP3 files has stopped working.

Hm, there hasn't been any recent changes in the MP3 tag reading code
that I'm aware of...

> In a single directory, I have multiple MP3's for the same artist and
> album. They are tagged as such. I have used dBPowerAmp to apply
> ReplayGain tags to them. I used python's mutagen module to examine
> the tags and have verified that the artist and album information is
> identical and the replaygain data is present in all files. However,
> one of the files will not show the cover art in the WPS and one will.
> Also, one will have a valid ReplayGain value (e.g. "Track" or
> Album") but the other will be "NoTag". This is not specific to only
> a single file in my collection. The problem is seen scattered
> throughout, in random places.

Have you made any changes to the tags in the files recently? Having very
long tags can cause problems, as Rockbox don't have a very big buffer
for things like artist and album name...

And it is always the same files that have the problem? If so, can you
send me some test files (best to have one that works and one that
doesn't work)?

> I am using a build from yesterday, but have gone back as far as
> r18085-080718 and still see the problem. This is on an iPod Video
> 80GB. Has anyone else seen this problem?

I haven't seen it, but I don't use MP3 all that much either...

   Magnus