Subject: Re: pressing hold while booting erases settings

Re: pressing hold while booting erases settings

From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen_at_telenet.be>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 11:24:47 +0200

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 03:01:04AM -0500, Paul Louden wrote:
> The thing is, this behaviour (needing to reboot for USB) is going to go
> away once Rockbox has its own USB mode.

But the problem is still relevant for the time being.

> Meanwhile, the hold switch remains the best choice for settings reset on
> the players where it is used often because of how little room there is
> for accidents, it's quite easy for a player to get bumped on in a pocket
> and have multiple buttons being held down.

That's exactly why you have the hold switch, right? :-)

> In all honesty, there's no need to have Hold enabled while you're
> plugging into a computer anyway. Pressing keys while USB is connected
> won't do anything anyway.

I'm not putting it on hold after connecting it to the computer, it's just
still on hold when I take it out of my pocket and I forget unlocking it.
It happens purely by accident, that's why it's so annoying (yes I have to
make a backup of my config file, but still).

I'll just comment out that settings_reset() line in my local source tree
for now. :-)

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 09:29:30AM +0100, alex wallis wrote:
> Hi, I didn't even no the player would erase your settings if you
> disconnected from the computer with the hold switch on, thanks for the
> warning. I don't actually remember seeing an entry for this in the
> manual, just wondering is this behaviour present on all players?

At least on iriver h10 and ipodvideo. It's documented near the end of the
Advanced Settings section (look for the "reset settings" menu item).
http://download.rockbox.org/manual/rockbox-ipodvideo/rockbox-buildch11.html#x14-25300011

        Geert