Subject: iRiver, Gigabeat and other old players with 160GB drive

iRiver, Gigabeat and other old players with 160GB drive

From: john <ruttmannn_at_gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 18:49:50 +0200

Hi

did you ever dream of upgrading your iRiver H140 to a capacity of
160GB? It's possible. Gigabyte F, iPod 3G, ..., too...

This mail is intended to clear some confusion with this old connector
inside all this old hard drive players for which no drives seemed to
be manufactured anymore. In fact most of the information is now in the
Wiki: http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/ZIFToATAAdapter

Up to now I know of no one that has a 160GB drive in his iRiver. The
biggest capacity seems to be in Linus player with a 120GB drive. But
the Samsung HS160JB, a 160GB PATA drive, should be compatible. It only
needs someone to step forward and test this drive.

Actually I am not very lucky with the name of the Wiki page, because
the adapter does not interface from ATA to ZIF but from PATA pins
connector to PATA ZIF connector. So, I would more like the title
PAtaPins2ZifAdapter or similar, but I do not know how to change the
Wiki page title and do not want to change it without some public
discussion about it before.

Happy upgrading
John