Subject: Obsolete step in Rockbox GUI installer, trying to contact web site which doesn't exist (Win32, maybe other OSes too)

Obsolete step in Rockbox GUI installer, trying to contact web site which doesn't exist (Win32, maybe other OSes too)

From: Christopher Woods <>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 03:05:28 +0100

I did a cursory search on this, but couldn't find any relevant references to
this, so I thought I'd ask on the list. Apologies if it's a dupe of a
previous discussion.

I patched my H340 tonight (which also raises the matter of loads of the WPS
themes being out of date and not working on the latest firmwares :( - the
installation process itself completed fine, but when the autopatcher
attempted to connect to to download some themes and
preload them, it failed. This is because doesn't
currently resolve on the web, and it looks like it's been down since late
2007 (last date Google Archive has a cache for).

However, there does appear to be more than one mirror for the site, although
they're stale (not updated since December 2007):

The latter has 24 device categories (the last one having no themes though),
in comparison to the cleansoap mirror, which has 21. The
mirror has a couple more features on the webpages (things like choosing
column size in each device's WPS gallery page) which the former does not.
Either way, I doubt that even these mirrors are fully up to date any more.

Maybe the automatic pulldown should be removed from the
included steps for the full installation in a future build? Otherwise more
newcomers to the GUI app could sit there scratching their heads for a little
while (me included, I patched my H140 firmware at the commandline! Oh those
heady days...)

Also, a cleanup of the wiki should be done - I've got some of the best H340
themes (imo) on my device and a fair few of them, including one of my
favourites :( doesn't have a functioning WPS, so a few H340 users need to
get together and go through the list and sift out the good one from the bad.

Also, the GUI app failed to autodetect my device's mountpount, although it
was fully registered by Windows (XPSP2) at I:\, and I could manually specify
the directory and begin the patch just fine. That autopatch and drag down of
the latest firmware really makes it easier to install RB now, so great work
there to all involved!

List admin: