Subject: Re: Obsolete step in Rockbox GUI installer, trying to contact web site which doesn't exist (Win32, maybe other OSes too)

Re: Obsolete step in Rockbox GUI installer, trying to contact web site which doesn't exist (Win32, maybe other OSes too)

From: Conway S. Smith <>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 02:36:57 -0600

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 03:05:28 +0100
"Christopher Woods" <> wrote:
> I did a cursory search on this, but couldn't find any relevant
> references to this, so I thought I'd ask on the list. Apologies if
> it's a dupe of a previous discussion.
> I patched my H340 tonight (which also raises the matter of loads of
> the WPS themes being out of date and not working on the latest
> firmwares :( - the installation process itself completed fine, but
> when the autopatcher attempted to connect to to
> download some themes and preload them, it failed. This is because
> doesn't currently resolve on the web, and it
> looks like it's been down since late 2007 (last date Google Archive
> has a cache for).

I just noticed this the other day. What I found was that the
domain is still registered, but the 1&1
nameservers that should be authoritative for it have no (or broken)
records for it. So there's no way to resolve the DNS address to an IP
address, and since I don't know the IP address there's no way I can
know if the site's really dead, or if it's just a DNS problem that
the domain owner can fix by adding DNS records.

Is the Google cache the only indicator you have for it being down
since 2007? Looking at time-stamps for themes I'm pretty sure I got
from, it was up back in March 2008. And the DNS
records were last updated in June.

Hopefully Mark Bright is subscribed to this list & can enlighten us
about this.

$ whois
Domain ID:D123837196-LROR
Created On:04-Jun-2006 17:46:25 UTC
Last Updated On:05-Jun-2008 01:24:16 UTC
Expiration Date:04-Jun-2009 17:46:25 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:1 & 1 Internet AG (R73-LROR)
Registrant ID:SPAG-31463401
Registrant Name:Mark Bright
Name Server:NS45.1AND1.CO.UK
Name Server:NS46.1AND1.CO.UK

$ dig @NS45.1AND1.CO.UK +all ANY
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 12712

Conway S. Smith
List admin: