Subject: Re: Audible files in Rockbox?

Re: Audible files in Rockbox?

From: Mark Allums <>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:58:44 -0600

Paul Louden wrote:
> Mark Allums wrote:
>> Removing the DRM is not immoral, and not illegal everywhere.

> I will continue to ask people not to ask questions about it because it's
> strictly off topic,

But not irrelevant.

  This is a project
> policy.

Okay. I was ignorant of that. Ignorance is no excuse.

So, frankly, don't tell me not to tell people this, when it's
> clearly off-topic,

Not necessarily a good reason to make such a request. Depends on the
subject. And I don't quite agree that it is off-topic, but I won't say

as well as something we have always in the past asked
> people not to discuss in our communication channels.

Very well.

There is a bit of a tradition of peaceful civil disobedience, when bad
things are made Standard Operating Procedure, as DRM tried to be, e.g.
Ghandi vs. the British Empire. And such behavior has effected positive
change, as many DRM schemes are being removed, e.g. Apple iTunes.

However, I shall abide by your wishes, and say no more.

I suggest people who can't use DRM with Rockbox, which is everyone, of
course, contact Audible and others and voice a complaint. Especially
the vision impaired, who need audio media, and also need Rockbox.

Thanks for reading,

Mark Allums

List admin: