Subject: Re: Audible files in Rockbox?

Re: Audible files in Rockbox?

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 17:20:59 -0600

Mark Allums wrote:

> Louden:
>> I will continue to ask people not to ask questions about it because
>> it's strictly off topic,
>
> But not irrelevant.

Relevance to you doesn't make it on-topic for the list. I'll get to what
is on-topic, what is off-topic, and why in the latter portion of my
response.

> So, frankly, don't tell me not to tell people this, when it's
>> clearly off-topic,
>
> Not necessarily a good reason to make such a request. Depends on the
> subject. And I don't quite agree that it is off-topic, but I won't
> say more.
First off, it wasn't a request for people not to discuss it. I was
telling people not to discuss it, because it's a matter of policy. And,
frankly, you don't get to decide what's on-topic or not. This list is
for discussion of Rockbox. Removing DRM from media, whether right or
wrong, is very much like "How do I rip CDs?", something that belongs in
a general help list as it is in no way exclusive to Rockbox, and is only
tangentially relevant at best.

We've had to say this a few times about other subject, "on topic" is NOT
"anything of interest to people using Rockbox" or "anything about
digital music" or "anything the visually impaired users of Rockbox might
be interested in." "On-topic" is "questions about Rockbox, using
Rockbox, or the tools provided by Rockbox." After the user was told
DRM'ed music would not work, it's no longer a question about Rockbox,
but a question about DRM'ed music, and that belongs on a list or forum
dedicated to such.