Rockbox.org home
release
dev builds
extras
themes manual
wiki
device status forums
mailing lists
IRC bugs
patches
dev guide



Rockbox mail archive

Subject: Re: rockbox and voice files

Re: rockbox and voice files

From: alex wallis <alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 18:15:23 -0000

>
>> Hi, I will be more than happy to test the utility as and when new
>> versions come out that try to fix accessibility problems.
>> However personally I don't use the utility for the simple reason that I
>> build my rockbox from source in order to incorporate a lot of patches and
>> to generate my own voice files.
>> Though the last time I looked at the utility I found it to be unuseable
>> none of the dialogs or buttons were read, in the case of buttons jaws
>> just said button with no identification as to what they were.
>
> Just a few remarks from a rbutil dev:
> - I have heard from different blind people that rbutil works a little bit
> in Jaws. It should read Button names and more, so that it is at least
> useable. So i am a bit confused when you say nothing really speaks..
>
> - Bug reports: i have often said to blind people, that to improve
> accessibility in rbutil (its possible to improve it) we need exact bug
> reports on what doesnt speak. Till now, i got exactly 0 bugreports on
> accessibility... which means i dont need to fix anything :-)
>
> So if people want it to get better, get involved, write bug reports
> (perhaps with the help of sighted people)..
>
My problem is I am very limited in the access I have to sighted people.
One question that comes to mind though is to what extent are the
accessibility issues caused by the fact that the current version of the rb
utility is made with an old version of qt that is known to have
accessibility issues?
I mean the thing is if a version was put out that was made with the latest
version we don't no maybe all or most of the issues would go away by
themselves.
I think the first thing to try is a new build with the latest qt and see
what difference that makes, as if you try to fix the code or make
alterations to it, or just generally find work arounds for accessibility
issues, that efort would all go to waste if it then turned out later that 90
or 95 percent of access issues were down to the old qt version.
If such a build were put together I would be happy to try and test it and
compare it to the old utility to say if accessibility was better, worse or
the same.
The last time i looked at the utility was probably 6 or so months back as I
say I now routinely build from source but I no a lot of people don't so
that's why i'm happy to help, it might be that I have just forgotten exactly
how accessible the utility actually was.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
List admin: http://cool.haxx.se/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rockbox
FAQ: http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/GeneralFAQ
Etiquette: http://www.rockbox.org/mail/etiquette.html
Received on 2008-11-18


Page was last modified "Jan 10 2012" The Rockbox Crew
aaa