Subject: Re: Rockbox and voice files

Re: Rockbox and voice files

From: Daniel Stenberg <>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 12:03:59 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008, alex wallis wrote:

>> Yes, we have received legal threats several times. And we have complied at
>> least partly to them all. (After having seeked and used professional legal
>> advice.)
> Just out of interest, why were they making threats and what about?
> considering that you write all your own code and aren't doing anything like
> bypassing drm?

- Hosting voices generated by a certain voice engine. We did have a license
   for the software used to create the voices and we read it and were convinced
   we were allowed to do this. The law people thought differently and offered
   us to buy the rights we wanted for several thousands of dollars per year.

- Providing a game too similarly named like a trademarked one (and also using
   a claimed "copyrighted game play" although we deny that under the claim that
   it is plain rubbish). The game play and graphics are our own.

- Providing a game named exactly like the original our game is a clone of
   (thus again stepping on toes in trademark territory) and also there claimed
   to use graphics and looks that the game company has copyright of. We changed
   the name and kept the graphics (that are our own )

As you see, it has had nothing to do with our code or DRM really. It has
everything to do with licensing, copyrights and trademarks.

List admin: