Subject: H340 HDD spinning constantly in USB mode? (and general disk spin time question)

H340 HDD spinning constantly in USB mode? (and general disk spin time question)

From: Christopher Woods <christof_at_infinitus.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 18:42:40 -0000

I've noticed that my H340, running r18607-3.0-080925, spins up the HDD and
keeps it spinning constantly when in HDD mode. My H140 doesn't do this, the
drive spools up and down as and when it's needed. I'm concerned that the
drive might be placed under an inordinate amount of wear or shorten its
lifespan because of the excessive spin time; is this a known bug with the
H340 or has it been fixed and I'm just unaware of the fact?

Also, my H140 used to cache more from the disk and have to rely less on
direct disk access when skipping tracks. Indeed, I can skip through 2/3 of
an album before it needs to read more data - yet I'm sure the H340 has more
onboard memory. The H140 feels snappier when changing tracks too (most
likely because it's all coming from cache without having to spin the disk up
to read the next track if you skip back or ahead manually). Is there an
option in the RB menus somewhere to alter the cached amount, or has this
behaviour changed permanently as a result of a code change since the last
time I put Rockbox on my H140? (to roughly date it, the build on my H140 is
from before the WPS code changed!)

Cheers
Christopher