Subject: RE: H340 HDD spinning constantly in USB mode? (and general disk spintime question)

RE: H340 HDD spinning constantly in USB mode? (and general disk spintime question)

From: Christopher Woods <christof_at_infinitus.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 09:49:05 -0000

All interesting responses, thanks (and it's also clarified the exact meaning
of the anti-skip buffer for me too :)

Does anybody know the answer to my second question, why the drive is
constantly spinning in USB mode? I plugged my H340 into a standalone USB
charger (the one for my smartphone, in fact) which is just a little wall
wart and a regular Mini USB plug on the other end of the cable. The H340
charged up fine, but it went into USB mode as soon as the cable was attached
(as you'd expect) but the hard drive STILL span for hours and hours and
hours until I unplugged it.

In fact, when I plug it in to any USB cable (be it data or just a charger
like it was last night) I've noticed that the hard drive spins down and then
immediately spins up and carries on spinning until you unhook it again. It
doesn't seem entirely logical to me, and I'm sure my H140's drive used to
park itself after a while if there was no drive access going on, even in USB
mode. Is this a hardware limitation of the H340 (i.e., it's written into the
IDE controller interface?) or is it in software? I wouldn't mind so much
except when it spins, the drive in my H340 is quite loud, and (as I
mentioned before) I'm paranoid about drive wear on these little HDDs.

Christopher